Monday, February 15, 2016

Being Stereotyped - An awakening

It has been long I thought about how I look and how it has been judged. Very true, most often we been judged by our family members on what we wear and how we walk and talk. When you apply  kajal everyday in your eyes, some may say "She can't step out any single day without kajal" and if you go without it for a long days we hear comments saying
 "Why is your face looking so dull. You look so tired. You need to take care of your health". The best way is to ignore and keep going even though it disturbs for few seconds.

I was continuously going to Power Yoga for few days and a Marathon brought down my physique a little slimmer. There are few who comes and says "You look very nice and the Yoga is working so well on you" and there are some who is waiting desperately to give the comment 'You became so thin, are you doing OK? ". After few continuous comments from many bystanders and family members, I tend to feel a little doubtful on my physique and started checking at me everyday in the mirror asking myself "Is everything OK with you ?". Later I took it so seriously that I checked myself for Diabetes to make sure everything is fine. My husband rolled in laughter looking at me. True, they come and thrash us sometimes. We need to put our thinking caps on to accept what we need to intake and what we need to expel.

Sometimes when I wear a fancy earring the comments would be like "Don't you have a gold earring?" and some would say "Does your ear develop allergies after wearing this, I can't afford to wear this all day long. I wonder how you wear every time". It was daunting me hitherto few years back. As maturity begets, everybody evolves in their own arena. 

I cover myself with veil being from a traditional Muslim family whereas I don't wear when I run for Marathons or give a speech during Toastmasters. I always wear my comfort level of dress.  I do prefer saris during weddings, Salwars and long skirts while going out for a stroll. I like myself in yoga attire while going for Yoga. I believe, I try to balance for the roles which I intended to play which can bring the best out of myself accordingly. It doesn't matter what you wear and how you appear. Ultimately what speaks for you is the person you are at heart, a little kindness for fellow neighbors,family and friends, helping tendency for anyone out there reveal your personality. Also if you dress for the occasion, it is really going to add value  for the moment and you can be at your best.

My Policy in life is whenever I see anyone very vibrant and charming I always say "You look very beautiful, nice and charming". When they look dull or not good I just smile and go without uttering single comment. A note of appreciation will always life the spirit up a little higher and elevate them to do more good.

Take a look at some of the startling figures that the Nihar Naturals #IAmCapable survey conducted by Nielsen India reveals:
a. 69% of men agree that their judgement of women is based on their looks.
b. 64% of women agree that the judgments passed on them have affected their ability to reach their true potential.
c. 70%of women agree that majority of judgments on women are from family members or friends rather than strangers.
d. 72% of women agree that working women face more judgments on their looks or their clothes than housewives.

nihar-naturals-statistics-women (1)

"I’m breaking stereotypes based on appearance by sharing my experience for 
the #IAmCapable activity at BlogAdda in association with Nihar Naturals.”


No comments:

Post a Comment